Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Groups of anything in class should die


Fuck you, group projects and fuck you hard. Literally every week thus far I’ve been involved in some kind of group since the start of the semester. I don't want to interact with anyone else ever, stop trying to make it happen. Just let me stare at the clock and count the minutes until I can leave.

As I’ve gotten older, I’ve become somewhat less shitty at public speaking. Still not enthusiastic about the idea and still hope a meteor crashes into the room right before my turn, but I can get through a presentation alright. A personal one, I mean. Group presentations make me nervous and I’m sudden back in third grade having a panic attack because I don’t know if I’m going to mesh with the group or if everyone will pinpoint and focus on my mistakes. Even then I knew how painfully awkward I was. Third grade. For serious.

There was a moment in the terrible 'trying to put everything together' phase where I realized I might have done mine horribly, horribly wrong. From that point on, I was in the state of nauseated nervousness, obsessing on what I could say to redeem myself.

Luckily the rest of the group was at the same level of “I hope this is right” confusion, so at least it would be homogenous. A guy in the group admitted that he was also extremely awkward in every aspect of life. One of us made a joke about awkward hugs, so I mimed my best version… at the same time he did. We were both unsure of what to do. We did the lean into it, lean away, what the shit are you doing, what the shit am I doing, why is this happening, I hate everything that’s ever led up to this moment, please God drop a meteor right now.

It ended up as the weirdest hug- a side hug with me tapping the outside of his arm, him tapping one of my shoulders, the other arm just in the air in my direction.

Save room for Jesus!

Presentation- I haven’t been that apprehensive about public speaking for a long time. I kept telling myself to chill out, be kinda normal for 90 seconds. It wasn’t working out well. My inner voice was getting pissed at my actual voice and I think my frustration crept out. Most of the people in class had the same weird look on their faces the longer I was standing. Then the professor kept asking questions and I couldn’t comprehend what she wanted me to say, so I just kept talking, hoping she’d leave me alone ASAP.

Then that lying son of a bitch started explaining his part. Where was the awkwardness now, motherfucker? He was charismatic and downright charming. He had the perfect joke timing. I immediately hated him. I was under the impression we had solidarity in our inept social skills.

When it was over I asked a joking question (really a snide comment with a joking tone so I wouldn’t be obviously bitchy) about where that awkwardness went. He said public speaking is the only thing he’s comfortable with; it’s everything else he’s not. I don’t know if I believe him.

But then again, there was that hug…

Jesus could’ve danced between us in the amount of space there was. Time stopped in the worst possible way and took eons to start again. I don’t know if I can stress how uncomfortable and freakishly long moment that was.

So... that happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment