Thursday, March 5, 2015

We are "family"


The art critic's review:

"Patricia Piccinni brings a fresh, personal perspective to some of the most difficult ethical issues of our time: What is normal? What is the nature of our relationship with animals? Are some lives worth more than others? What constitutes a family?"

This exhibit was supposed to show genetic crossbreeding with humanity in the future... I think. I looked it up again online and was just as unsure what the purpose was as I was when I saw it for the first time. Then again in my nightmares. Mostly likely in my nightmares tonight after writing this.

I realize everyone's taste in art is different and I've never worked with whatever medium she used, so I can't speak for the technicality. As a regular observer I can comfortably say "What the fuck is that?"

He was like a grandfather who melted into a walrus and the kid just went with it.


Did I mention the kid is life sized? Like 10 year old child sized. When I first walked into the room I thought the kid was real and being creepily interactive with whatever that thing was. Grand-walrus was about 5 feet long with a head the size of the kid's entire torso.

Remember- this was the special 'name in lights' kind of traveling attraction, so there was no escaping any of the 30ish sculptures. That one wasn't even the scariest, it just stuck in my head after 3 years.

The other accompanying miniature features weren't much better. The only two of those I distinctly remember were a taxidermy crossbreed (see my other post about the deer head...) and a bronze sculpture of little red ridding hood holding an axe, standing in the heap of wolf she cut herself out of.

Overall it was quite a morbid experience. 





I leave you with this:

sweet dreams :]

No comments:

Post a Comment